We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In

Town of Wasaga Beach

Skip Navigation LinksTown of Wasaga Beach > Town Hall > Building Department > Approvals

Building - Permit Approvals

In addition to a building permit, your project may also require additional approvals to substantiate compliance with other requirements.  Please contact the Building Department to advise if the following approvals are necessary for your specific area and project:  Septic System, Committee of Adjustment, Demolition Control, Conservation Authority, Lot Drainage and Grading.  These are the most common of the additional approvals:

Lot Grading Approval

A Grading Plan identifies the slope of the land with respect to the proposed building.  Depending upon the particulars of your proposed project, a grading plan may be required.  When required, three copies of the proposed grading plan must be submitted along with your Building Permit application submission documents.  The Grading Plan must illustrate both the existing drainage pattern and the proposed drainage pattern.  For additions and accessory structures you may have to stake out project in order to determine if lot grading plan is required.

A Grading Plan is required for new home construction on all infill lots.  Additions and Accessory structures may require a grading plan as well.  Please refer to the Town of Wasaga Beach Lot Grading and Drainage Policy


Beside the Building Code, your project or proposed construction must always comply with other applicable law as defined in the Ontario Building Code.  The following is a list of common Applicable Laws: (other approvals may be required).  For more information, please refer to the Ontario Building Code Applicable Law (as amended).


Planning Act, s. 34 or 38                       

Compliance with Zoning By-Laws

Contact:  Joel Vines,

Planning Department

Phone705-429-3844 Ext. 2272

Site Plan Approval, Planning Act s. 41              

Requirements for Site Plan Control

Contact:  Doug Herron,

Planning Department

Phone705-429-3844 Ext 2284

Planning Act, s. 45                                  

Minor Variance where an application does not comply with all local zoning provisions, a variance granted by the Committee of Adjustment may be required.

Contact:  Joel Vines

Planning Department

Phone705-429-3844 Ext. 2272

Planning Act, Zoning s. 34 By-Law     

where proposed development requires an amendment to local

Amendment - zoning provisions.

Contact:  Planning Department  


Public Lands Act, O.Reg 453/96          

Ministry of Natural Resources consent required authorizing construction on public land.


Ministry of Transportation                   

where construction is adjacent to a highway, Building and Land Use Permit may be required from the MTO – Contact:


Conservation Authorities Act s.38      

Where construction is in a fill regulated area or flood plain or may interfere or compromise an existing watercourse.

Contact:  Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority


Environmental Protection Act. S.168  

Where industrial or commercial property changed to residential use.  Record of Site Condition to be filed with MOE, conformance to Certificate of Property Use.

Contact:  Ministry of Environment